No, this isn’t a watermelon-flavored cake recipe. It’s a cake that is made from watermelon, cause I’ve recently become crazy. Don’t believe? Let’s take a look under all the yummy frosting…
Ta da! Who says fruit can’t be exciting?
It was my cousin Hannah’s birthday last week. To celebrate, I wanted to make her a dessert that fit her lifestyle of Sunday morning yoga, salad, and all around healthy living. But hey… she should still have fun and a little sugar right?
I was inspired by a lot of recipes on Pinterest but here’s my way to create this little beauty. I recommend it for healthy birthdays and as a fun idea for potlucks and parties (it feeds a ton of people!!) without breaking the bank.
- 1 Regular Size Watermelon
- 1 tub of 8oz French Vanilla Cool Whip
- 6-7 Fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced as shown (or your choice of fruit toppings)
1. You want to use the middle chunk of the watermelon for the base of the “cake” so you’ll start by slicing off the top and bottom rounded ends, leaving both ends as level/flat as you can. I set my watermelon on a cookie sheet with edges to retain some of the water and make for easy clean-up.
2. Use your knife to carve the rind off the edges of your new “cake” base until your base looks like the picture without the frosting. Feel free to keep slicing parts off the top until it looks level to you.
3. Refrigerate until you’re about 10-15 minutes from serving. When you’re ready to serve it, place the watermelon on a cake plate or stand and use a spatula to “frost” the entire thing with the cool whip. I used generous dollops that would sit on top of the watery watermelon pretty well.
4. To do the design shown, I started around the edge placing strawberries in a circle then kept working my way inward, circle by circle.
5. Serve shortly after or keep refrigerated until ready. Cut and serve with the knife you used to cut the base down. And enjoy the yummy & the look on your friend’s face when they realize it’s a freaking watermelon! :)